Happy Birthday, John Milton, born 9 December 1608, died 8 November 1674
- The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.
- Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.
- For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.
- Solitude sometimes is best society.
- Thou canst not touch the freedom of my mind.
- A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit.
- The superior man acquaints himself with many sayings of antiquity and many deeds of the past, in order to strengthen his character thereby.
Milton was an English poet who is best known for his epic poem Paradise Lost.
Source for Image
by Amanda Patterson for Writers Write