Happy Birthday, Raymond Chandler!
9 Writing Quotes by Raymond Chandler.
- The challenge is to write about real things magically.
- Without magic, there is no art. Without art, there is no idealism. Without idealism, there is no integrity. Without integrity, there is nothing but production.
- The faster I write the better my output. If I’m going slow, I’m in trouble. It means I’m pushing the words instead of being pulled by them.
- The most durable thing in writing is style, and style is the single most valuable investment a writer can make with his time.
- Technique alone is never enough. You have to have passion. Technique alone is just an embroidered potholder.
- A writer who is afraid to overreach himself is as useless as a general who is afraid to be wrong.
- In writing a novel, when in doubt, have two guys come through the door with guns.
- When I split an infinitive, God damn it, I split it so it will stay split.
- The actual writing is what you live for. The rest is something you have to get through in order to arrive at the point.
Raymond Thornton Chandler, born 23 July 1888, died 26 March 1959, was an American novelist and screenwriter.