The First 10 Pages
When it comes to screenwriting, you only have 10 pages to accomplish five goals:
- Establish the tone/genre (is this a comedy, fantasy, spoof, etc.)
- Introduce your main character: interesting, flawed, and if not likeable, at least empathetic… somebody we can hope and fear for.
- Clarify the world of the story and the status quo.
- Indicate the theme or message (Good vs. Evil, Man vs. Nature, etc.)
- Set up the dramatic situation – that is, what the story is going to be about.
Follow this link to The Script Lab find out how this has been successfully achieved in films such as Jaws, Inception, and Edward Scissorhands.
From Writers Write