Literary Birthday - 22 August
Happy Birthday, Dorothy Parker, born 22 August 1893, died 7 June 1967.
The 10 Most Memorable Dorothy Parker Quotes
1. This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.
2. Don’t look at me in that tone of voice.
3. I don’t know much about being a millionaire, but I’ll bet I’d be darling at it.
4. I hate writing, I love having written.
5. That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgement.
6. I’d like to have money. And I’d like to be a good writer. These two can come together, and I hope they will, but if that’s too adorable, I’d rather have money.
7. But I don’t give up; I forget why not.
8. The only “ism” Hollywood believes in is plagiarism.
9. Living well is the best revenge.
10. Razors pain you,
Rivers are damp,
Acids stain you,
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful,
Gas smells awful.
You might as well live.
Parker was an American poet, short story writer, critic and satirist.
by Amanda Patterson for Writers Write