"We Americans are interested only in the consumption of our products. We have no interest in how they are produced, or what happens to them once we discard them, once we throw them away."
Fictional Food Hit List: Catching Fire →
- Beaver stew
- Herb tea
- Bean and gourd soup
- Boiled cabbage and burned meat
- Fresh baked bread
- Tea and cookies iced with flowers
- Cold chicken, cheese, bakery bread, and oranges
- Roast duck with katniss tubers and gravy
- Lamb stew with dried plums, orange juice, hot chocolate
- Spit roasted cows, pigs, and goats
- Fowl stuffed with savory fruits and nuts
- Seafood with spicy sauce
- Creamy pumpkin soup with slivered nuts and tiny black seeds
- Clear green broth that tastes like springtime
- Frothy pink soup dotted with raspberries
- Small roast bird filled with orange sauce
- Corn syrup on bread
- Corn syrup in tea
- Cake with chocolate flowers
- Toasted bread, cheese, apples, and roast chestnuts
- Stew and bread
- Buns with cheese baked on top
- Peppermints that melt in your mouth
- Chamomile tea with sleep syrup
- Cinnamon and dill bread
- Tea and toast
- Cold soup of pureed vegetables
- Fish cakes with creamy lime paste
- Orange filled birds with wild rice and watercress
- Chocolate custard dotted with cherries
- Warm milk with honey and spice
- Dried beef
- Pheasant with jewel-colored jellies, baby vegetables in butter, and parsley mashed potatoes
- Fruit with chocolate fountain
- Sausage, eggs, potatoes, bread, juice, and hot chocolate
- Turkey leg
- Toasted bread (marriage ceremony)
- Charred tree rat meat
- Roasted tree nuts
- District 4 bread with sweet raw shellfish
- District 3 bread – bite sized square rolls
- Arena clambake – fish, shellfish, oysters
- District 3 bread, shellfish, and spicy red sauce
- Broth and a roll
Mark Twain’s homecoming meal →
"It has now been many months, at the present writing, since I have had a nourishing meal, but I shall soon have one — a modest, private affair, all to myself. I have selected a few dishes, and made out a little bill of fare, which will go home in the steamer that precedes me, and be hot when I arrive — as follows:
- Radishes. Baked apples, with cream
- Fried oysters; stewed oysters. Frogs.
- American coffee, with real cream.
- American butter.
- Fried chicken, Southern style.
- Porter-house steak.
- Saratoga potatoes.
- Broiled chicken, American style.
- Hot biscuits, Southern style.
- Hot wheat-bread, Southern style.
- Hot buckwheat cakes.
- American toast. Clear maple syrup.
- Virginia bacon, broiled.
- Blue points, on the half shell.
- Cherry-stone clams.
- San Francisco mussels, steamed.
- Oyster soup. Clam Soup.
- Philadelphia Terapin soup.
- Oysters roasted in shell-Northern style.
- Soft-shell crabs. Connecticut shad.
- Baltimore perch.
- Brook trout, from Sierra Nevadas.
- Lake trout, from Tahoe.
- Sheep-head and croakers, from New Orleans.
- Black bass from the Mississippi.
- American roast beef.
- Roast turkey, Thanksgiving style.
- Cranberry sauce. Celery.
- Roast wild turkey. Woodcock.
- Canvas-back-duck, from Baltimore.
- Prairie liens, from Illinois.
- Missouri partridges, broiled.
- ‘Possum. Coon.
- Boston bacon and beans.
- Bacon and greens, Southern style.
- Hominy. Boiled onions. Turnips.
- Pumpkin. Squash. Asparagus.
- Butter beans. Sweet potatoes.
- Lettuce. Succotash. String beans.
- Mashed potatoes. Catsup.
- Boiled potatoes, in their skins.
- New potatoes, minus the skins.
- Early rose potatoes, roasted in the ashes, Southern style, served hot.
- Sliced tomatoes, with sugar or vinegar. Stewed tomatoes.
- Green corn, cut from the ear and served with butter and pepper.
- Green corn, on the ear.
- Hot corn-pone, with chitlings, Southern style.
- Hot hoe-cake, Southern style.
- Hot egg-bread, Southern style.
- Hot light-bread, Southern style.
- Buttermilk. Iced sweet milk.
- Apple dumplings, with real cream.
- Apple pie. Apple fritters.
- Apple puffs, Southern style.
- Peach cobbler, Southern style
- Peach pie. American mince pie.
- Pumpkin pie. Squash pie.
- All sorts of American pastry.
- Fresh American fruits of all sorts, including strawberries which are not to be doled out as if they were jewelry, but in a more liberal way.
- Ice-water—not prepared in the ineffectual goblet, but in the sincere and capable refrigerator.”
Fictional Food Hit List – The Hunger Games →
- Goat cheese wrapped in basil leaves – posted April 10, 2011
- Rough grain ration bread with goat milk – posted January 16, 2012
- Sliced bread with goat cheese and blackberries
- Wild dog soup (yeah sorry, not doing this one…)
- Fish stew with greens, strawberries and bread on the side – posted November 4, 2011
- Raisin nut bread, burned, with tea – posted September 25, 2011 (forgot the tea)
- Mr. Mellark’s cookies – posted September 21, 2011
- Thick carrot soup, green salad, lamb chops with mashed potatoes, cheese and fruit, and chocolate cake
- Greasy Sae’s winter specialty, soup with mice meat, pig entrails, and tree bark (not doing this one either!!)
- Dandelion salad with raisin nut bread
- Rabbit stew with greens
- Fish and katniss roots
- Eggs, ham, fried potatoes, chilled fruit, rolls, orange juice, and coffee
- Hot chocolate with rolls to dip
- Chicken and oranges in cream sauce on rice with flower shaped rolls and peas with tiny onions; honey colored pudding – posted July 6, 2011
- Goose liver and puffy bread
- Mushroom soup, bitter greens with pea-sized tomatoes, thin sliced rare roast beef, noodles in a green sauce, cheese with sweet blue grapes
- Cake with alcohol that lights on fire
- Eggs, sausages, batter cakes with orange preserves, pale purple melon
- Beef stew with hot grain
- Porridge (with ration grain)
- Fancy cakes with flowers
- Fish shaped loaf tinted green with seaweed (District 4)
- Crescent moon roll dotted with seeds (District 11) – posted August 15, 2011
- Drop biscuits (ration grain) - posted January 16, 2012 (same as above)
- Roast pig with apple in mouth
- Fish soup
- Pork chops with mashed potatoes, rolls and wine
- Lamb stew with dried plums on wild rice – posted August 15, 2011
- Cream and rose petal soup
- Crackers and dried beef strips
- Roasted rabbit – posted July 25, 2011
- Roast groosling with sweet roots
- Raw eggs, rabbit legs, and berries
- Popped corn over a fire
- Raw fish
- Mint tea
- Pack of dried fruit (apples and pears)
- Hot broth
- Berry mush
- Groosling stew with roots and chives, cooked with hot rocks
- Fresh rolls, goat cheese, apples, lamb stew on wild rice – posted September 26, 2011
- Roll with goat cheese and apple slices
- Goat cheese and apple tart – posted January 12, 2012